Friday 5 March 2010

Not quite over.


I've just read the title I gave to the lost post and feel suddenly saddened by it. It's been an amazing week in many different ways and looking back on it as opposed to when I was experiencing it, if feels suddenly sad that it is over and in the past. It's distanced now, gone and I wonder if I will actually go back. Must be my mood today, feel lousy as can feel the first stages of a cold coming on and my head is fuzzy. Get a bit weepy as well when I'm ill, so this probably isn't the best time to be writing an uplifting travel blog on Cordoba and Jerez. And I should be writing about Jerez today, but I don't want that to be anything but capturing how I felt on that exact day, that Saturday, 13th of February, setting out early, before other Cordobans were up, passing strange figures dressed as cockerals and archbishops and clowns as they returned home from the train station and the first night of the festival in Cadiz. It's all the off-kilter moments that make travel, or I suppose any event special. It's who you talk to, an exchange, the sight of a figure silhouetted against the sky, of a cloud, of sun on water, of someone you don't know smiling and saying hello. Early dawn and fancy dress figures. A cold station platform and the smell of fresh coffee. Dusk and clearing away pavement tables. A man smoking a big fat cigar and looking content with the world. Of two women who speak different languages and understanding each other. These things make life and travel exciting. I'm going to stop. Today is not the day to say goodbye to Cordoba.

No comments:

Post a Comment