Tuesday 23 March 2010

Gallery of Contemporary Art


Over a 1000 works of art including 100 Picasso prints of the famous "Suite Vollard." A collection of Grandfather clocks (80), tapestries, walking sticks, antique bureaux, furniture...

Jose Estevez believed in mixing the old and the new. I think I've told you this, but hey, that was so long ago, you won't mind a snippet of repetition. Old and new in the making of the sherry, old and new in the mix of art and old furniture and with the horses, old and new traditions.

Loved a painting, a red circle and two girls looking at each other. They could have been the same person looking at a different aspect of herself. Very striking. And a massive canvas on the large balcony area that was layered and layered and used collage.

And back downstairs, and because we were only four, Mr. Garcia took us into a side room and brought over bottles of sherries to sample. He said we could have try as much and many as we wanted. He brought over a bowl of olives so it didn't go to our heads having empty stomachs. And he told me about the Estevez family. And then the shop. As I was travelling with only hand luggage on the plane, I couldn't buy a bottle bigger than 10ml, so bought a pack of five and decided we'd have our own sherry tasting back home. Had to chuck out some of my toiletries and the packaging to put them in my designated plastic bag for customs, but they fitted. Just. And the bottles were plastic, so no worries there. Cost 15 Euros and 15 Euros for the tour. Definitely worth it. I'd recommend the private tour rather than a main one. Same price, but we had a fantastic time. And Mr. Garcia took his time. So, so glad I went.

And now. To head into Jerez de la Frontera. The town.

No comments:

Post a Comment