Monday 8 March 2010

Grupo Estevez


The Bodegas Real Tesoro y Valdespino isn't the one my branch of the Estevez family were associated with in the 1800's. I'm beginning to wonder if they actually owned a Bodega, they were certainly wine growers and they came to England setting up the sherry importing business in London and then New York. It was called the Estevez Corporation. Apparently, the name Estevez is more common in Northern Spain and less so in the south. The guide, Signor Garcia (he said his name was really common and I have Garcias in our family tree) spoke spanish and english and said he'd give me any information on the Estevez family that he could. He was great. And funny. He introduced me to the other couple on the privately arranged tour as having come to claim my family fortune. Ha ha. Joker. It relaxed me though so I enjoyed the tour very much.
I'd had to book it by email in advance. On Saturdays, you have to book for a private tour, and say if you want just the sherry part or that plus the stables and art gallery. I booked for the lot! It should have taken an hour and a half approximately but we were there nearly four hours. The other couple, a man, italian, with brilliant spanish and a spanish woman asked loads of questions and were really nice. And then Mr. Garcia kept explaining things to me in english. It was very relaxed and cost the same as a normal tour where there would be many more people. Fifteen euros. And we paid at the end.

So, after Mr. Man's joke, we looked at the clocks and antiques and paintings. I snapped a few photos too, which didn't seem to be a problem. This was in the Main Courtyard, an Andalusian courtyard and then in another room with many family photographs.

So, why not the same Bodega, if it existed, as being my family's? Well, Jose Estevez only bought this Bodega in the 1980's. He died five years ago and four of his seven children work in the business. Incidentally, the name 'Ramon' is important in the family and the children all have this name. Sylvia Ramona is a modern artist living in London. I'll find more information on her. All the rest live in Spain.

Jose was interested in the mix of old and new and this is what makes the Bodega unique. He mixes old and new throughout, in art and antiques (grandfather clocks and Picasso prints and other contemporary artists) in the mix of old traditions and new techniques in the making of the sherry and with the horse training.
That's for starters. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment