Monday 15 March 2010

Middle of the Night

It's two forty four am. I can't sleep because I keep coughing. That dry tickly, won't go away, going to keep coming back type of coughs and the more you cough the more it tickles. And hurts. Ow, ow, ow. I've had three big cups of honey and lemon. Funny, they seem to help more than the medicine. I like the cup. Big, white, comes with a saucer, but I've left it downstairs in the cupboard. I know I'll be tired and grumpy tomorrow but right now, with everyone else sleeping, it's sort of special being awake. I'm not heading out into the cold, I can stay in my pyjamas, I can go back to bed if I want to, I can go and make another cup of honey and lemon. It's great. Would be great if I could just sleep and not wake anyone else. And stop coughing. It's the Writers' Group tomorrow. I really enjoyed last week, I usually enjoy it. Afterwards, we discussed Tim Burton and Alice in Wonderland and Tim Burton and Batman and Tim Burton and Ed Wood and all the other films.
Someone thinks he's a one trick pony, another that he reinvented Batman, another that his films always look stunning. And then we moved on to Lord of the Rings, and then Stephen King and his characterisation and believability in how his characters react to the situations they are in. I don't know his books well enough for that. I know his short story, The Body makes an excelling film in Stand by Me.
What's going to happen if I go back to bed? You can tell how my mind's working. Not really. Will I be able not to cough? No, coughing now. Ow. Will it subside? When? I should be getting better. Why am I not? I eat lots of fruit.
If I hadn't just been to Spain, I'd say I need a holiday. Maybe that's it, having travelled fairly recently, I'm being told to saddle up the horse again and head for the sunset, somewhere warm, somewhere beautiful, somewhere good for the soul and my health. A warm mediterranean sea would be healing, lots of clean salt to drink to disinfect and heal my throat. Have to say, the sea off Formentera is delicious. Really feels healing. Quite salty, but very good. Not that I'm an expert. I haven't drunk the sea anywhere else but here. And I just happened to open my mouth that one time and in it went and I thought, "Now this is good for me." I want to go back, but first, Mallorca and Menorca. To walk on sun bleached boardwalks, flip the white sand, swim in the aquamarine water. And do it all again and again. And then, in the evening eat steak and salad and a glass or two of red wine. And sleep. And melon. Lots of strong tasting melon. And eggs and coffee in the morning. Ah. I need a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment