Tuesday 2 March 2010

Friday in Cordoba


It's cold, cold, cold today. Later in the afternoon there is a brief snow flurry. This is highly unusual here. Crazy weather.
It's a day of getting jobs done. Jerez de la Frontera tomorrow (I'm getting nervous) so booked the ticket. Trenhotel on the way there, departing 7.28 (love the way these times are worked out) arriving 9.50am. Twenty-four Euros ninety-five. And on the way back, Ave Shuttle, leaving Jerez at 8.53 pm (?) and arriving back in Cordoba at 10.40. Cost Twenty four euros eighty.
This was done in a local travel agent, so booked my return train ticket to Malaga as well for Sunday. I'd looked up the time and price, Trenhotel, leaving 7.18 arriving in Malaga 8.30 am. Twenty euros eighty-five. Now watch this as the bloke booked the ticket, I didn't check it and it turned out he booked me with the massive comfy seats, which was great, but it cost thirty-three euros eighty. Just so you know and don't assume they'll ask you about the seat you want. Anyway, all done and isn't getting your tickets sorted a relief?

Had a cafe con leche (coffee with milk) and this sickly, heavy long sausage thing that's like a doughnut called a choro. The plate arrived with three actually, but I could only eat part of one of them. The coffees were good though. Had two. And the coffee place, it was up in the main shopping pedestrianised area. Called El Guido. Art deco, bar station in the middle, waiters alerted to your every whim. Mid-morning and men talking, standing, sitting, drinking anis and coffee, smoking, dealing, talking. A group talking business, some land deal being made. And amazingly, as a contact lens wearing gal, the cigarette smoke didn't bother my eyes. It didn't get under the lenses and cause havoc. Didn't bother me at all. Nor did the smell. It didn't smell of ash and greyness, but was subtle and aromatic under the coffee beans. Spaniards are ignoring the ban of smoking inside in public places and don't you love them for it? I'm not a smoker and I loved this place. Could have sat there all day, watching people, mainly men, come and go. It seemed to be the business and the friends' meeting place. I seem to be saying this a lot, don't I? "I could have stayed there all day." Maybe I should move here.
The picture at the top is in the Mezzquita. Just liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment