Sunday 24 January 2010

Words

I've been very careless in the use of words today. Not many, not said in anger or venom or even love, just said, but written carelessly. I'm probably making exactly the same mistake right now, writing as the words come into my head and even when we think we've thought over them and they capture what we feel and want to say, then sometimes, in another's eyes, from another's viewpoint, they come out wrong and cause hurt or laughter, but not the intended reaction.

I remember writing about this in my final English dissertation through Stan Barstow novels and kitchen sink drama. My choice wasn't considered literary enough by my tutor, but in my pig-headedness, I went ahead anyway. One of the points was how when we say things aloud they never come out exactly as we feel and hear them. So nobody else can truly understand us. Many will disagree with this, saying, well, you just haven't tried hard enough to find the right words or to put the right words together. Some people will say that I do know and understand you. As if you fully understand yourself. The final book in his trilogy, "A Kind of Loving" was "The Right True End." Yup. Have to put those in the pile of "To Read Again."

No comments:

Post a Comment