Wednesday 13 January 2010

Those Click Moments

I was in the kitchen, the radio was on, Radio 3 and the presenter started talking about William Blake and some sketches of his that have just been bought by the Tate and the reviews about them. Their 'darkness' was one of the words mentioned. And this went on to his poem beginning "And did those feet in ancient time.." which we know best sung as 'Jerusalem' and then I had that click moment. In Erosion I have a scene where Randolph, one of the main characters realises that nothing will be the same again. The land is lost, the way of life he loved is lost. It clicked and it's not a shouting moment, there are no rockets or illuminating light bulbs, just sadness because there is no point shouting about it. He's been violent and antagonistic and abusive all through the book until this point. And then that is it. Erosion. And it's quiet.
I love these moments when you know that is the right thing to do, it's the right choice. And the right choice for the character. I like Randolph and I want to give him dignity. Here, he gets it. From the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment