Sunday 3 January 2010

Elvis

Last night I watched "Elvis: Black Leather - the '68 Comeback Special." Whoops, wrote 'comback' - with his hair it could have been, though through the performance it soon looked more dishevelled. Much better.
And the black leather was a surprisingly good look. But the performance. I think 'blistering' is the term often used. This show was between Hollywood and Vegas and Elvis was obviously enjoying himself. My favourite parts of the show were when he sang, and I'm not sure of the title, but it had the line 'I was trying to get to you.' Made my heart ache.
And 'Memories' not the one from 'Cats.' and ending the show, "If I can Dream."

It feels rare now to see such singing on television. Rare to see the connections between musicians. You see it sometimes on Jools Holland, but this was pared down to the basics. I'm so sick of pizzazz. I just want to hear someone sing as though they are living it, to watch a film tell a story straight without any padding, to be moved by a performance, not merely entertained. I want more. And Elvis, loving, no it's not loving, being what he loves, feeling, living it, shows why it is tragic that the industry took him over. He died aged forty-two. Forty-two. Because he was unhappy.
And people loved him.
Listen to his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment