Thursday 8 July 2010

Sherry Tasting at the Bodega Estevez


In February, I came back from Jerez de la Frontera with five sample bottles of sherry from the Bodega Estevez. I had only taken hand luggage on the flight so was only allowed 10ml bottles in my bag. I've saved them for a sherry tasting - ha, you get two glasses out of each bottle and I wanted to share them between five people. Anyway, not a great day today and thought, let's not try as it's six months since I got back from Spain and the odds of us all getting together...so, Almirante, Oloros first. Jerez Secco, Marques del Real Tesoro. Beautiful oaky rich colour. Gorgeous oaky rich aroma. A sip, a wince, a slight screwing up of the face.

Next. Tio Mateo, Fino. Jerez seco y suave. Marques del Real Tesoro. I slipped in a tiny ice cube. Crisp, light, fresh, delicious. Lightly pale. Just as I drank in Cordoba in February. All you need, cold, with a plate of piping hot prawns melting in crisp batter. A perfect combination. Ah. If only I were there now in that tiny back room in the small three roomed bar, all ages eating and drinking and on the ball waiters and those bells for service on the wall, and fino and hot prawns. Perfect.

Three bottles to go. I'm eating strawberries now. The rest of the tastings for another night.
And Espana - Good luck and play as well as your fino and prawns and you will win on Sunday. X

No comments:

Post a Comment