Thursday 8 July 2010

Losing your mind, but not in the way I'd like

It's 11.15. I'm just settling down to work, but I'm trembling with upsettedness and not anger, but 'AAAHHHH-ness.'
Student Loan Application. We have had to do this using three way media and it doesn't work, doesn't connect, doesn't communicate. On-line, by post and telephone. And today, after months and of being assured all was going through, I had to play the emotional near tears game to get them to sort it. I am assuming that as part has been done online and part by post that the dear old computer can't correlate the information and keeps refusing access, so it cannot be completed on-line although weeks ago a voice on a telephone line assured us it was and we keep being told to go back to it.
So, nice man today said he'd do it. Do we do anything else? No. You'll receive notice of the amount you will receive, probably not until 2021, when you are hopefully not in higher education, but you will receive notice. I was assured.

This has taken all morning after some other business I won't bore you with because I'm sure the above hasn't bored you.

And I was going to talk about the Global Grooves Dance workshop I went to last night at Band on the Wall in Manchester. It's the third in a course of I think eight, leading to a performance at the Big Drum Day in Chorley, Lancashire. I didn't make the first two, probably won't make the rest. I've been on other courses run by Global Grooves and have to say, I like the process bit the best but not the sudden drive to the performance. Some tutors plan the weekend, which it ususally is, better than others. The performances are actually good in showing what you've learnt, bringing the group together, completing the time with a firework rather than a sparkler.
But, we are paying to be taught and the teaching of a new style, rhythm, way of dancing can be lost in the drive to put the choreography together. Again, different teachers are better than others.
Last night, it was Adriana Rosso, a Brazilian who is an inspiring dancer. She seems to be taking the move towards the performance at a good pace, preparing early. However, the very nature of these workshops because they lead to a performance feel that there isn't as much 'learning' as I'd like. I like to work up a sweat, doing lots of moves, having a laugh, connecting, aching the next day. I don't want much. I don't think I can make another workshop in this run though. I enjoyed it, didn't feel too pushed, but I did feel, and I understand the logic of dancing fast when the final rhythm will be fast, but I felt sloppy and scrappy in my dance. But then, that's just me. With practice, going over and over, the fast moves will gel and hold their form. And then the glorious satisfaction. I'm waffling, blithering, my mind has been made mulch by the student loan system, new this year, might I add, and too flawed. Great people at the helpline on the end of the phone lines, but security is high, no longer are the days when you can talk about your spouse or son or daughter. Security. You might be trying to con them and we must protect their rights.... I'm going, where? Who knows. Into the ether.

No comments:

Post a Comment