Wednesday 4 April 2012

Women and groups and humour and strength




Last year I fell down, I've picked myself up several times, but not managed to stay up. Now, finally, I think I can. And the most important thing is, I won't give myself a hard time if I buckle a little. That's okay. Because for most of the time I'm standing up!
Last week, I met an inspiring group of women. I meet inspiring women all the time, but last week, it was a g-dung, g-dung moment. These women aren't well, in varying degrees and yet they support each other, laugh, a lot, banter, don't moan, make huge efforts and generally get on with things with humour. That is a massive key. Humour. I was extremely privileged to attend two of their exercise classes at Whitby Leisure Centre. All the people, mainly women, are referred to the class via their doctors or the hospital. They welcomed me and it was a wonderful experience to be with them.
Yet again, and I've been learning this for a while, the strength of a group. Very, very powerful and it can be used across the board. The support of a group in generating health, happiness and well-being cannot be underestimated.
Thank you to all those I met last week, at the Leisure Centre, the cafe owners by the beach in Whitby, market stall owners, all. And it's not only Yorkshire women, one was from Manchester and two from London. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment