Friday 11 February 2011

Time and place


'...I lingered round them, under that benign sky; watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.'
Emily Bronte.

This is the last paragraph of 'Wuthering Heights.'

This is what I'm aiming to capture in 'Erosion.' A sense of place. My father is buried in a graveyard on the edge of the moor on the top side of Haworth. Moths fluttering over the heather and the soft wind blowing through the coarse grass is what you see and hear up there. And you do feel at peace.
I want to capture the vast sky and grey sea and the thick reedy grass and the wiry heather. I want to capture what Yorkshire is as Emily Bronte does. I see and feel it so let's see if I can put it down on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment