Monday 21 February 2011

Reading formats and Agents


Two things.
First: The Kindle. This weekend I saw two adverts for the Kindle on TV. I asked my daughter if she'd use one. She said what is it? I explained. She said, 'That's cool. Yes, I could read easily on the train and in bed I'd just hold it in one hand. I'd probably read more.' I said, you won't get an illustrated cover with it and she said that doesn't matter, it's the story that counts...

Second: Agents. Last Monday, about four thirty in the afternoon I sent off about six packages to agents and small publishers. First class post.
On Wednesday morning, WEDNESDAY morning, I received a generic rejection slip from Marjacq. Usually it takes three to six months to hear back. Wow. Turn around, read and evaluated within one day. In the package I sent there was a cover letter, synopsis and three chapters each of Erosion and Sweet Scent of Success. I know, two different projects, but because they're so different I put them both in. All read and assessed within one day. Efficient.

On Friday, the same from A P Watt.

Do I praise these agencies for their speed and efficiency? Their websites said they were open to submissions.

And I'm thinking about the Kindle. Unless it breaks, it does seem like a good idea. I'll miss the cover of a book, but as in films, plays, novels...the story is the central element.
I think it means even less money for the author, but hey, that's not why we write is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment