Friday 28 January 2011

Our Woodlands


I've been thinking about all the beautiful places I have walked. The fields I have trekked across, the moorland, green, purple or brown, the woods, sun dappled and leafy, white tinged with intricated dark fingers against the winter sky, peaty paths, grassy trails, sheep bleating, birds calling out, crows rising from January branches. Beside wide amber rivers, grey waters, noisy streams, overgrown springs, gushing waterfalls. And I've been free to wander and sort out the crises that seem more important than anything else. And calm down when I've been upset. And be inspired when I've been struggling.
Many woods are owned by the National Trust. We have to pay for this privilege. Luckily there are woods in our country where anyone can enjoy these benefits. Walk and walk until we feel better, healthier, able to cope.
I've been thinking about what I would have done if I hadn't been able to walk amongst the trees and sort myself out. What would I have done if I hadn't found this release? What if I can't walk freely in woods to find a solution, to calm down, to reconnect with reality. What will I do if I can't do this? What will other people do?

No comments:

Post a Comment