Thursday 20 January 2011

Launch Events


Last night I went to the Institute of Anthony Burgess on Cambridge Street in Manchester to attend the launches of two books of poetry published in their new 'Salt Modern Voices' range by Salt Publishing, Manchester. The two poets, Adrian Slatcher 'Playing Solitaire for Money' and JT Walsh 'Orchids' spoke and read from their works. With red and white wine and orange juice on offer, sitting in a ground floor room of an old mill with its expanse of restored brick walls, antique pieces of furniture and bookshelves it made for a very pleasant hour or two.
At first I wasn't sure I'd got the right place. The cafe was closed and it was only when I glimpsed people through an entranceway into the adjacent room that I realised, yes, this was the place. And very nice it is too. I'm definitely going to look what other events take place there.

But, back to this particular evening. Adrian, who I'd met years ago at a playwriting course held at the Manchester Language School in Didsbury (now that's a place I can wax lyrical on) invited me to the event.
It was extremely well run with an introduction, then Adrian speaking and reading exceptionally well and I liked the way his book of poetry moves through stages, particularly the personal poetry.
And then JT Walsh whose poetry and approach was different from Adrian's but equally well presented and read and evocative.

And what has this left me with? The desire to go to more such events.

No comments:

Post a Comment