Friday 10 July 2009

Book Reviews


Meeting Coty Book Review!

Many thanks as the reviews are coming in from the ten people who received copies of the book from the website.

"Meeting Coty" Review
by Sally Craven


The theme of Meeting coty seems to be about the choice between love and family and a career. As a career woman myself, I am not convinced that there has to be a choice. I think nowadays a woman can have both. I supposed in the 1920's when this novel was set, it was more difficult. It probably was until the 1960's. The mother figure who hates her children is what would make me have to know for sure that I wanted children before having them though. I always wanted children and I still do, but I wouldn't automatically do it, I'd have to be absolutely certain and I always thought I was definite before. This book has made me think more seriously about it. Maybe the mother shouldn't have had children, but then there'd be no story. I'd like to know what kind of a working mother Tessa would make. I asked my mum about having to choose between love and a career and she said it depends on whether you have children or not. Even today.
What I like about the book is that it makes you think about things like this. I'd assumed there was nothing to debate, but talking to people, the reality still seems to be a problem for all sorts of reasons. I like the way different characters take different views on this theme. A bit like 'Sex and the City' you can pick which character you think you are most like.
The images that are used in the book as well are really unusual. I love the way she describes love and jealousy and that we make a choice and then aren't sure. It's very true. It kept me guessing too. You think there's not a lot going on and really there is loads going on. It made me think differently about perfume as well. I won't buy any of that celebrity stuff any more. Perfume is too important for that.
I am looking forward to the next book, Leaving Coty as that is about how things shape up for Tessa and there is more about Coty and perfume which I'm interested in knowing more about. I like the fact that I can learn things about perfume and Coty through a story and not have to read a factual book about him.
I'd definitely recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment