Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Have to say, came into this biased after hearing some not so complimentary things about working with Wes Anderson. However, I haven't worked with Wes Anderson, so that is someone else's experience, someone I respect, but not my direct opinion.
So, coming in slightly biased.
I immediately enjoyed it, the script, direction, art direction, editing, performances. Loved Steve Zissou lighting a cigarette when his stranger son turns up and the way it/the match burned. Angelica Houston, always a joy. And Owen Wilson, not as actor I usually like, was excellent as Steve's son. Certain roles are made for Bill Murray. I need say no more.
Loved the ship and how we were shown the different rooms, the antique look and the fact that it was eccentric. And the voice over.
The hiatus moments as the scene turned. The irrationality of characters and their emotion and others for their restrained emotion.
And then on another note, what it raises in us, the viewer. The urge for adventure, for spontaneity, for being part of a team with a common cause (this has cropped up a lot this year) following your dream and keeping that sense of awe, respect, appreciation.
The team. Loved the shot of everyone in the submarine and the little sign, 'No more than six people..' and there were about ten. Moments like this are shot through the film.

Where the film slightly lost my attention was with the pirates. Although the camera didn't linger on anyone shot or hurt and injuries didn't seem as bad as you would have thought, keeping that surreal feel, people were shot, I'm not going to give away the plot, so bear with me, but this section didn't hold my attention in the way the rest of the film did and this section took up a vast chunk.And this wasn't a gaping objection, merely a slight dip.
However, it was the device that brought all parts together, it was set up well, 'Don't take us into unprotected waters....' These hints worked as part of the humour rather than sledge hammer signposts. The quick delivery, although given to us more than once, were part of the film's remit.

The Life Aquatic isn't my favourite film of all time, but for much of it, I will watch again and probably find things I missed on the first viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment