Wednesday 7 September 2011

Onwards


I know, I know, I keep saying I'm working on the final edit of Erosion, but this is the FINAL ONE. And so, at Writers' group, I've now read two chapters of Monster Belt out. Focus, focus, that wonderful word.
So, three hundred final pages of Erosion to plough through, holding concentration and the thread.
Monster Belt - well, it's written, but at 62,000 words, it's too short. I hate novels that are obviously padded, so need to start digging down to see what I can discover about Jane and Harris. Jane, fresh from university, believing in her own cynicism and Harris, a hippy child brought up on an island in the Med, is an expert where monsters are concerned.Jane dreams about being eaten by hair curlers in underground caves. She lives in a village that is at the central point of the two latitudes that form the Monster Belt. And in the village lake there lurks a monster that takes children's lives.
She's nothing to do all summer except work part-time in the village pub. Why shouldn't she go with Harris and find out if monsters really exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment