Thursday 16 June 2011

A View from a Bridge

Well, it was worth it. A View From a Bridge at The Royal Exchange was mesmerising. The direction, staging of the set, the minimal set itself, costumes, lighting, sound were spot on. But the script and the acting were what made it so stunning. I was stunned.
Beatrice stood out most for me. Her dilemma, shown so brilliantly. I'll look up the names of the cast. Flawless accents, totally believable and heartbreaking.
Eddie emitted a great deal of flying spray from his mouth as he punched out his words, so not sure what other cast members felt about that, but he was hunched and angry and frustrated and torn.
Arthur Miller's words from the lawyer were poetic but real. Wonderful to listen to and must have been a gift to speak. Then the family and the cousins. Tough, gutteral and painful.
Oh, and in places it was very funny. Good use of facial expressions.

I sat on the banquette (£9 - only available by phone or in person, not on-line) I'd had such an annoying time to purchase and sat spellbound. The auditorium was packed. One tip, don't sit behind the rocking chair!
Watching a story played out by people in front of you is far more effecting than on a screen. Yet again, the argument that theatre should be accessible for all - all types of theatre. Like last Friday at Digitfest at The Lowry, being part of The Rite of Spring. Such different 'live' experiences, but one that makes life so much richer. I understand more, I will forgive more, I won't be so angry about a theatre ticket.
And at the end, a woman stood up from the banquette a few places away from me and said to anyone who was listening, 'AND he was married to Marilyn Monroe!'

No comments:

Post a Comment