Monday 26 April 2010

Alan Sillitoe to Stan Barstow

Alan Sillitoe died at the weekend. He wrote Saturday Night, Sunday Morning amongst others. Last of the Kitchen sink authors? I heard the news on the radio this morning. A short piece on Radio Four. I didn't realise the french loved his work long before he was recognised here. They loved him for his writing, not the subject matter. He was seen from a young age as highly literary. And he left school at fourteen. That suggests that all is not lost if youngsters leave school early. But then they need some drive to see them through.

Big debate there.

As I said earlier, my final study for my degree, the english, not the drama part, was on Stan Barstow. Another Kitchen Sink writer. It's the passion that drew me. Feeling out of place with all those around you. Striving for something and succeeding in finding it or not. Frustration coming out as anger.

Definitely worth a read. Or would I prefer to read another of those novels on shopping? Can I debate that when I haven't read any? I think A Kind of Loving is pulling me that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment