Tuesday 17 July 2012

Writers' doubts

Dreamt last night that everyone in the Writers' group I attend said they didn't feel any emotion in my work. Why did I dream this? Is it comments that people, not writing group people, have said in the past? Someone said they thought Meeting Coty detached, someone else said, that's nonsense. Am I detached? Do I avoid emotion in real life and the dream is telling me this? Insecurities...all Creatives have that and we must work through it, having faith, working on, developing our craft so that all we want to come across does. Maybe I'm being too subtle in my writing. I don't want to sledge hammer people with what my characters are feeling. Maybe I am still writing a novel too much like a film script and showing emotions through people's actions rather than words. But I like this way. I want my readers to see the characters moving around, doing whatever they're doing and maybe having to guess at their emotions, with a heavy hint from the actions and the way they speak. It's what people don't say that intrigues me. And deeper themes are for those who see them, and for those that don't, there is the story. But is my dream telling me it's not working?

No comments:

Post a Comment