Thursday 27 October 2011

Female protagonists


At the writers' group, I'm reading out 'Monster Belt' (working title.) A female writer said she found the female character quite reticent. Her female characters are all out there. She's reticent for a reason. It made me think about all my characters and Jane in Monster Belt and Lizzie in Erosion are both messed up and distrusting.
Tessa in the Coty books is the most grounded and even she is unsure about things.
I think we are all unsure about things at times, that's real. We can put bravado on and plough through regardless. Some people don't. I'm writing about people that do have insecurities.
I do wonder though if readers want to hear this or not though. Do they want their main character as indecisive? Should she be a trail blazer, strong and powerful and entertaining? I'm not writing that kind of book. I don't write those kind of books.
This is me mulling it over. Confusing for the reader? Needs further thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment