Tuesday 22 March 2011

Julia Child and French Cooking

Watched a film called, 'Julie, Julia' or was it 'Julia and Julie?' It was the story of two chefs. Both amateurs. Both loved food. In the 1940s, an American living in Paris for a few years, Julia Child co-wrote a book on french cooking for the Americans while studying french cooking.
In modern day New York, Julie Powell, who worships Julia Child, spends a year working through the recipe book and keeping a blog on it. This becomes the basis for the book and then this film.
Meryl Streep as Julia Child is funny and brilliant. Amy Adams is perfectly stroppy and charming as Julie.
I've been downstairs to fetch the DVD box. It's 'Julie and Julia.'

Stanley Tucci is excellent too. All the cast are.
It's a Nora Ephron film (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry met Sally) and it has her touches and slants but less so than her other films. Just glimpses probably because the Julia Child character is so strong. Meryl Streep is so strong playing her. Her voice fills the air.
And the food. The food. It's made me want to go and buy the book, 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' even though I know I will never make half the dishes, like dressed lamb and lobsters. That scene....I won't spoil it.
But there are other dishes I will definitely make. I know the first. Beef Bourginon. Done in her way. And butter, butter, butter. I love butter anyway, definitely Anchor Butter, but I'm going to use it more. The flavour is described in the film when used in sauces and to cover a chicken and to, oh, do so much. And closing your eyes you taste it.
Isn't it wonderful when your senses kick in? Like smelling coffee and fresh bread and the first cut grass of the year and the last? Like the aroma of delicate roses or jasmine? Fresh paint?
And the taste of fresh bread. And buttery cake.
I want to clear out the freezer of anything I haven't made. Only fresh food cooked well. And sitting round a table sharing it with friends and family. Isn't that what life is about? I've often wished I was that type of person, I think you have to be a genuine giving, loving, sharing person to cook like this. I'm going to try. Will it be like the chicken and the egg? Which will come first? Will they blend as I pulverise vegetables into a soup?! Or as I beat eggs for a cake?
Will this help find what is important?

Mmm. Thinking about what to cook tonight. I know it's soup (home made) and mushroom omelette and crispy roast potatos. Got to be light, Miranda has capoeira and I have Writers' group. Not sure why that figures, but it does. Sitting down you don't want to be full just as doing exercise you don't.
The windows are open because it's a sunny spring day. Lovely fresh smelling green shooted, bud riddled air.
Bon Appetit. Can hear Meryl Streep shouting that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment