Friday 26 February 2010

Churches and Palaces and Synagogues



Yesterday's top right hand photo was "For Sale." Fab. And I forgot to say that the Mezquitta courtyard closes at five thirty, or it did yesterday, Wednesday, may be their version of half day closing I suppose, anyway, one of the guards chucked me out as I was writing my notes. I went without kicking up a fuss.

So. Thursday. My list, The Church of St. Peter. It is the oldest church here and my father is called Peter, so must see that for him. The Alcazar (Palace of the Christian Monarchs) - I don't know why many places seem to have two names here, maybe it's because first, the Moors owned things, then the Catholics took it back again and of course there is the fact that the Romans were here first...mmm..that's three.

And then the old synagogue - it's the only one left in Cordoba after the Jews were chucked out (wonder if it was done as politely as my eviction from the mosque yesterday) and it's the smallest synagogue to boot. I don't know what's happened to my language today.
And the Bull Fight museum, just to check if it really is closed. I've heard it is, for renovation.

And the rain has gone, it's fine and windy today.

So, St. Peter's. Off towards the Mezquitta, then veering left up past the dance school up the hill to the main shopping square with the man on the horse, straight across and down the hill past the old roman ruins and left along the road to St. Peter's. Was it open? I think this has been the biggest disappointment on the church front. The front gates were locked and the doors the church firmly shut. It is crumbling and ancient. I strolled around the corner to see if there were any other entrances and what did I see? A shop called 'Estevez!' It was a man's shop, selling ties, scarves, hats and all things male. So heartening to see. I'm feeling at home more and more each day here. People here say 'Hola' they chat, they are helpful and kind and friendly.
I now walk without hesitation when meeting someone coming the other way. I step up onto the narrow pavement to let the car come down the narrow streets and I stride out onto the zebra crossings when I want to cross the road as this is the only way to halt the traffic.
I'm so glad it's sunny today. There's a breeze and it can be cold, but so warm in the full sun. Feel relaxed.
So, St. Peter's is closed, going to find the Alcazar. Pronounced Al-ca-tha. Short 'a' always.
Back to Mosque Square and onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment